This is a reference to Colin McInnes' Solar Sailing.
- McInnes, Colin R. Solar Sailing. Springer-Praxis, Chichester, UK, 1999. BibTeX
This is a test. Here's a URL: http://www.google.com
Here's another: http://www.space.com
This is a test.
Here's another external link: http://www.noaa.gov/
Testing, testing, 123.
Main Page Test
Sunlight pushes gently on spacecraft with large, lightweight, mirrored solar sails. They enable travel throughout the solar system and beyond without rocket propellant. SolarSailWiki covers everything from the science of light pressure, what they can do for us, to technologies and missions of the future.
Please help SolarSailWiki become a comprehensive source of solar sail information. Ask for an account by sending an email to admin at solarsails dot info.
- Solar sail news roundup for October 3, 2013
- It's been awhile since I posted on news in the world of solar sailing, so here's a list of stories that have come out in the past several months. Sunjammer The Sunjammer project successfully tested deployment of a sail quadrant at a L·Garde facility in Tustin, CA, on September 30th, 2013. This is one boom and one sail out of four that will make up the flight sail. Students from the Palm Middle School Science, Technology, and Mathematics (STEM) program visited L'Garde and watched the deployment test. News Coverage Universe Today: Huge Solar Sail Portion Unfurls In Crucial Ground Test Satnews: L'Garde Inc., Space Services Holdings + NASA - Sunjamming For Power (Technology-Sail) NBC News, September 23, 2013: Solar sail ships seen as best bet now to get us to interstellar space. Discussion with physicist and novelist Dr. Gregory Benford on interstellar travel. Project Forward of Icarus Interstellar continues the study of beamed sail propulsion to other stars. Infographic on interstellar sailing IKAROS The IKAROS sailcraft is still alive and orbiting the sun with occasional radio beacon contacts with the ground. English translation of IKAROS blog posts: IKAROS Daily Report - August 29th, 2013 IKAROS Daily Report - August 22nd, 2013 The CubeSail project and UltraSail concept of UIUC and CU Aerospace were featured in NASA Tech Briefs on September 1st, 2013: UltraSail CubeSat Solar Sail Flight Experiment. The Third International Symposium on Solar Sailing was held on June 11-13th, 2013, at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland. --Ben (talk) 14:30, 3 October 2013 (EDT)
- (Thu, 03 Oct 2013 14:30:24 -0400)
- NASA to Launch World's Largest Solar Sail in 2014
- NASA to Launch World's Largest Solar Sail in 2014 by Leonard David of Space.com goes in depth on the Sunjammer mission. --Ben (talk) 20:19, 25 February 2013 (EST)
- (Mon, 25 Feb 2013 20:19:27 -0500)
- Crazy Far
- National Geographic Magazine: Crazy Far Crazy Far by Tim Folger with art by Stephan Martiniere is an article on interstellar exploration in National Geographic's January 2013 special issue, The New Age of Exploration. --Ben (talk) 13:00, 10 January 2013 (EST)
- (Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:00:08 -0500)
- Third International Symposium on Solar Sailing Call for Papers
- The Third International Symposium on Solar Sailing will be held in Glasgow at the University of Strathclyde, June 11-13th 2013. The call for papers for the symposium has been issued. Abstracts are due February 1 2013. --Ben (talk) 12:57, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
- (Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:57:08 -0400)
- Astronomy Cast Episode 262: Solar Sails
- Episode 262 of Astronomy Cast discusses solar sails and their recent developments. --Ben (talk) 11:20, 16 July 2012 (EDT)
- (Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:10:29 -0400)
- Setting sail for the stars with 100-year project
- Flight Global discusses Dr. Robert L. Forward's interstellar laser sailing concept, the 100 Year Starship Initiative, and continuing work by Icarus Interstellar. --Ben (talk) 12:59, 20 June 2012 (EDT)
- (Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:10:16 -0400)
- LightSail presented at Aerospace Mechanisms Symposium
- Bruce Betts reports in The Planetary Society Blogs that Chris Biddy of Stellar Exploration Inc. presented technical details of the LightSail 1 spacecraft at the Aerospace Mechanisms Symposium. He provides a copy of the presentation. --Ben (talk) 13:17, 20 June 2012 (EDT)
- (Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:09:42 -0400)