Difference between revisions of "Solar sail news roundup for October 3, 2013"
(Created page with "It's been awhile since I posted on news in the world of solar sailing, so here's a list of stories that have come out in the past several months. * The [http://sunjammermissi...")
|Line 18:||Line 18:|
Revision as of 14:30, 3 October 2013
It's been awhile since I posted on news in the world of solar sailing, so here's a list of stories that have come out in the past several months.
- The Sunjammer project successfully tested deployment of a sail quadrant at a L·Garde facility in Tustin, CA, on September 30th, 2013. This is one boom and one sail out of four that will make up the flight sail.
- Students from the Palm Middle School Science, Technology, and Mathematics (STEM) program visited L'Garde and watched the deployment test.
- News Coverage
- NBC News, September 23, 2013: Solar sail ships seen as best bet now to get us to interstellar space. Discussion with physicist and novelist Dr. Gregory Benford on interstellar travel. Project Forward of Icarus Interstellar continues the study of beamed sail propulsion to other stars.
- The IKAROS sailcraft is still alive and orbiting the sun with occasional radio beacon contacts with the ground.
- The CubeSail project and UltraSail concept of UIUC and CU Aerospace were featured in NASA Tech Briefs on September 1st, 2013: UltraSail CubeSat Solar Sail Flight Experiment.
- The Third International Symposium on Solar Sailing was held on June 11-13th, 2013, at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland.